Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sharon's Kislingbury's Letters



Sharon moved to South America suddenly without telling anyone in March of 1978. She wrote the following letters to my grandparents, dad and aunt from Guyana. Her last correspondence with her family took place on her 22nd birthday in October, just a month before she died.

In "Letters from Jonestown," my dad wrote, "A young woman's correspondence paints a glowing picture that didn't match reality of the jungle enclave before the Nov. 18, 1978 mass suicide and murder."


March 16, 1978

Dear Folks–

If this letter seems kind of confusing– it's because one of the letters is the one I forgot to mail at the airport.

Anyway– now I am in Georgetown and on my way to the mission– Will be a 24 hour trip by boat– It's beautiful here– You still see horse and buggys and cows crossing the street– Also must get used to driving on the opposite side of the road– Everything here is green and beautiful. The nights are so warm that I only need a sheet over me while sleeping– People here are very warm.

Talk to you later,

Sharon


•••••

Undated, March 1978

Dear Mom, Dad, Graham and Linda,

Try to imagine the most beautiful place that you have ever seen in your whole life. Well here I am right now. I arrived in Jonestown (mission village) a few days ago by boat. The boat ride seemed much like the jungle cruise in Disney Land, but the real thing and about 100X intensified in beauty. Beautiful big red parrots flying overhead, and the most beautiful blue butterflies.

Jonestown has to be the model town. Everything is so well organized. We have a bakery, laundry, kitchen (dining area), movie theater, showers, bathhouses, medical buildings, a library, schools, supply house and soon, a couple swimming pools. Everyone has beautiful cottages to live in. Outside of the cottages are small gardens made up of citrus fruits. I share a cottage with two other women.

The food here is out of this world– for example Breakfast–– one egg and two freshly baked rolls– tea– fruit.
Lunch–– Soup and three sandwiches on freshly baked bread.
Dinner–– Chicken (just plucked), cutless beans, greens, sweet potatoes, punch.
And for dessert, homemade fudge or cookies– everything is freshly baked or grown here.

The best part about our agricultural mission is that is does so much to help other people. We have a large medical team that gives free medical services to people in the area. Never before has any group of people done so much with agriculture to help others.

I am really interested in agriculture, and am trying to learn everything I can about farming–– We also have horses and cows, pigs and chickens here too!

I can honestly say, I have never been so happy before–– it is so peaceful here. At night, you can see the stars and hear the baboons sing in the distance.

Well I must go now. I'm writing this in bed and starting to doze off. Bye for now,

Love,
Sharon



•••••

May 5th, 1987

28/5/78 (Guyanese way of dating)
(Please remember mail takes a long time depending on when the boat goes out or comes in).

Dear Mom & Dad,

I have just received both of your letters, and it was so good to hear from you. I appreciate your support.

Everyday here is breathtaking. I have never felt such meaning and fulfillment in my life before.

Just yesterday two Amerindian women brought their newborn babies into Jonestown seeking help (the babies were near death). Thanks to our well trained and equipped medical team the babies lives were saved. We are the only medical facility in the North West Region. You can believe that the lives of many Guyanese living in this region have changed since we came. They had no medical help before. We are also free of charge. Some women come in to learn proper nutritional and prenatal care that was unavailable before.

Life really takes on great meaning when you can help others.

The school system here is remarkable. The classes are small and most of the teachers are not only skilled in Education, but psychology, law medicine etc.

The students here have become way above their grade level. I can remember some of the children here that use to be educationally handicapped in the U.S. They are blossoming here, they love school! I guess it is the special attention, freedom of expression, and great concern on the part of the school and community. I now have a little sister "Rose," (5 yrs old) who I spend much time with!

My whole appearance seems to have changed here. I look alot happier, with no tension. I feel more animated. This is the kind of life I've always wanted. Sometimes its hard to believe that such great things have come my way in the last few months. The beauty alone is enough but the genuine concern on the part of the whole community really tops it off.

Love,
Sharon
:)


•••••

Dear Mom & Dad

It was so good to talk to you on the phone porch last night–– It's not everyday you get to have a conversation from the U.S. to S. America. That was truly a great birthday present.

As I mentioned last night everything here is more perfect than can be imagined–– we are in our dry season now. There is a cool trade wind during the day and at night it is warm and you can sit out with your friends sleeveless until late at night, if you wish, without getting old.

Did you get the picture I sent you? Tonight I've been in the library reading the newspaper and some magazines. I'm going down to the kitchen to have some tea with some friends then go home to bed. It's a beautiful night out–– There is a full moon that brightens up the sky like early morning–– with a streak of red thru the shadows of the banana trees. The stars fill up the sky–– It is quite picturesque. You can hear the cricket and frogs and if your really quite, once in a while see a wild occury or ocutiger run into the bush.

Lately, I have been learning how to give physical examinations. It's alot of studying but I'm still hanging in there–– I've managed to work part of my day now at the barn and piggery with the animals–– I LOVE doing that–– help take care of the horses, pigs and cows 3 hrs a day. So now I manage to get a lot of horseback riding.

Our pigs just had piglets, some of which we hand bottle feed. They are all very cute.

I've also been doing a little sketching lately down at the art shop.

Well, tomorrow I'm getting up early and going to the clinic to assist the nurses in physical examinations. A few of us are doing this on-the-job training. The whole community is requested to get a physical twice a year. So everyone is in good health. After lunch I will study a little and if I have time I'll go help with the animals until about 3:30p.m.

My schedule is very flexible- and this makes work very interesting and enjoyable. I love what I do!

I'm going to head to the kitchen for some tea now, so I'll write you later.

Love you both,
Sharon

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Wow. Adds a whole new dimension to the research.